Sunday, June 24, 2007

 

Anchors Aweigh!


The most important thing I want to say is that, two Saturdays ago, I visited the World War II Memorial in Washington. This elderly man and his (I would guess) daughter were sitting in the shade, trying to stay cool on an increasingly hot day. I don't know what possessed me, but, when a car pulled up with other members of his family to whisk him away, I went up to him, and asked him to pose for me. A Navy man, he kindly obliged. I thanked him for all he had done for our country. He told me, "You're a nice lady."

An hour or so later, I found myself in Lincoln's presence. I had not visited him in over thirty years. Thank heavens I was wearing my most comfortable sandals (which actually ended up in the garbage bin before I left on Sunday).

And then I ambled over to the Vietnam Memorial. Not as placid as the tranquil waters, graceful marbles, and fountains I'd encountered earlier in the afternoon.

Not as comfortable and as much at peace as the old Navy man.

So "Chemical Ali" was sentenced to death earlier today. He's been charged with 180 thousand deaths.

That's all I have to say.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?